Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr

I have always loved MLK, but after reading more about him I am just moved by this man's life. I am SO thankful for him and others that have brought about change in this country, a work that is certainly not done.



Some of my favorite MLK JR quotes:

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." -Oh how I pray that this is true for our children.

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

"An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law."

"Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek."

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."


As I sat down with Toby, my mind set on trying to have him understand what significance this day holds, in three year old language...

Me: "So there were lots of naughty guys, who said that anyone without light skin, were bad. They were very, very mean to the people who had brown and black skin. So this guy (showing him a picture), Martin Luther King Jr said that it was wrong to be mean. He told everybody that it was naughty to be mean to people because of their color. That all the colors of the rainbow are beautiful. We all need to be nice to each other..."

Toby: "So we are all animals on the farm, Mama?"

Me: "What in the world are you talking about Toby?"

Toby: "I am white Mama?"

Me: "Yes, and it's beautiful. And black is beautiful, pink is beautiful, and brown is beautiful. God made people of all the colors."

Toby: "Ok Mama."

Hmmm...maybe next year. It sure was comical though. I wish I could have jumped into his little head to understand what he was thinking. Someday, someday he will understand.

No comments: